08 May 5 Quick Stress Busting Breaks for Caregivers
Providing home care to others is a very stressful job and throughout the day, breaks for caregivers are essential. It is not unusual for caregivers to overlook their own mental and physical health when they are providing care to others. However, mistakes can be made if people are over-burdened or overtired and so it is very important to ensure carers are coping and looking after themselves properly. Here are our top 5 quick stress-busting breaks for caregivers …
Stress-Busting Breaks for Caregivers
Regular long breaks from care are ideal but often aren’t feasible. The following are ideas for quick breaks for your body and mind. Small things you can do without leaving the house that are quick relaxing stress busters. If you build a few in throughout your day you will get maximum benefit.
- Close your eyes, slow your breathing, and breathing out count slowly to 5 and then on the inhalation back down to 1. Repeat a few times until you feel yourself relaxing. This Really Works.
- Take 5 mins to Re-hydrate – a cup of tea or better still a glass of water. When you are dehydrated you get headaches and can feel extra tired. Use the time to plan something nice to do later, or a quick crossword or Sudoko to stimulate the mind.
- Get some fresh air – step outside into the garden and do the breathing exercise there for 5 mins. Double benefit!
- Do 5 mins stretching or chair aerobics relaxing tension busting stretches
- Do 5 mins exercise – Lunges *10, Star Jumps *10, Squats *10 – these will boost your energy.
Caregivers need to take care of themselves too. The secret is to pace yourself and resist the urge to push through the tiredness. Ignoring good advice for breaks can lead to exhaustion or being stressed which can seriously impact on physical and mental well-being.
If you become ill – who will care for your loved one?